Put yourself to the test with our list of essential weird and wonderful Scottish facts. How many do you know?
1. Actress Reese Witherspoon’s ancestor John D Witherspoon was not only Scottish but he signed the American Declaration of Independence.
2. Scots invented elephant polo. The game was dreamt up in a bar in St Moritz by James Manclarke, a Scottish landowner and former Olympic tobogganer.
3. In 2005, 100 athletes performing in a Scottish triathlon were each insured £1 million against bites from the Loch Ness Monster.
4. Although the Scots comprise less than 0.5 percent of the world’s population, 11 percent of all Nobel prizes have been awarded to Scotsmen.
5. Dundee is Scotland’s only south facing city.
MORE: See next 5 facts