Put yourself to the test with our list of 30 essential weird and wonderful Scotland facts. How many do you know?
The grand piano – invented by a Scot!
31. Arthur Conan Doyle was a goalie for Portsmouth. Under the pseudonym AC Smith, the writer played as a goalkeeper for amateur side Portsmouth Association Football Club, a precursor of the modern Portsmouth FC.
32. The grand piano was invented by John Broadwood, a carpenter from East Lothian in or around 1777. He also came up with the foot-pedal method for varying the sound of the keys
33. ‘Ivanhoe by Sir Walter Scott’ is an anagram of ‘A novel by a Scottish writer’.
34. The world record for the longest echo in a man-made structure is held by an underground fuel depot near Invergordon. In 2014 a blank shot fired from a pistol inside Inchindown tunnels reverberated for an incredible 112 seconds.
35. In Scotland, it is illegal for a boy under the age of 10 to see a naked mannequin.