St Conan’s Kirk, Lochawe, Argyll
When elderly Mrs Campbell became too frail to make the trip to the nearest church in Dalmally, her son Walter decided to build one for her, and began work on St Conan’s Kirk around 1881.
The completed church deliberately does not keep to one particular style, with traditional cloisters sitting alongside rabbit’s-head waterspouts and carved stone owls.
Photo © Crown Copyright: Historic Environment Scotland. Licensor canmore.org.uk, Shutterstock