- 150g carrot (grated)
- 150ml vegetable oil
- 150g light brown sugar
- 130g plain flour
- ½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 2 free range eggs
- 50g sultanas, soaked in orange juice
- Handful of pumpkin seeds
For the honeycomb
- 2 tbsp of golden syrup
- 100g caster sugar
- 1½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
For the icing
- 60g unsalted butter, softened
- 60g icing sugar
- 120g full fat cream cheese
- Preheat oven to 170°C. Line a loaf tin with baking paper.
- Place all the dry ingredients in a mixing bowl, add the oil and eggs, mix together until well combined.
- Add the sultanas and pumpkin seeds.
- Bake in a loaf tin for 45 to 50 minutes.
- Melt the caster sugar and syrup in a heavy bottomed pan. Simmer gently for 5 to 10 minutes until a syrup forms. Be careful not to let it brown but just as it starts to colour add the bicarbonate of soda and mix.
- Quickly pour onto a sheet of baking paper and allow to cool.
- While cake is cooling beat together the butter and icing sugar until white and fluffy, then fold in the cream cheese. Do not over beat as it will become a runny mixture.
- Decorate the cake with icing and honeycomb.
Wrap up warm and indulge in some Honeycomb Carrot Cake …
Star chef, Carina Contini, shares with us this delicious, seasonal Honeycomb Carrot Cake recipe.
Grab a handful of pumpkin seeds, some fresh carrots and get baking!
The honeycomb frosting just tops this whole cake off.
Carina Contini is Owner of Contini George Street, Edinburgh; Cannonball Restaurant & Bar, Castlehill, Edinburgh; and The Scottish Cafe & Restaurant – located at the gardens entrance of the Scottish National Gallery, Edinburgh.
Find out more at www.contini.com
See more of Carina’s recipes for us here and discover a new one each month in The Scots Magazine